About P1.5 million in properties were turned into ashes when fire, believed caused by an electrical short circuit, hit eight houses and destroyed two cars and a motorcycle in Brgy. Bata, Bacolod City yesterday.
City fire marshal, Chief Insp. Pamela Rojane Candido, said a concerned citizen reported at about 2:03 p.m. that several houses in Purok Bayabasan were on fire.
Candido said all fire trucks of the Bacolod City Fire Bureau were immediately dispatched to the area and were assisted by those of the Amity and Chinese Chamber fire volunteer brigades, but the fire had already grown big since most of the houses were made of light materials.
The fire was put out at about 2:15 p.m., with no casualties reported, she said.
Initial investigation showed that the fire originated at the room rented by Merly Barista on the second floor of the boarding house owned by a certain Neneng Aquino. It also destroyed the houses of Rose Monteban, Janet Labuna and Roberto Gencianeo.
Candido said the fire damaged the residences of Vilma Mahinay, Jonathan Sureta, Angelie Olaera and Angel Juayang. It also destroyed the Toyota Corola vehicle of Ramon Solaterio, the Kia pride of Gencianeo and damaged the motorcycle of Hernani Artejo, she said.
On Thursday last week,an electrical short circuit also caused a fire in a residential area in Brgy. Mansilingan, Bacolod, where two houses were destroyed.
The BFP is reminding the public to have their electrical connections checked by licensed electricians to avoid fire incidents.*APN