Witnesses to the killing of a businessman in Silay City, Negros Occidental, have refused to cooperate with police probers in their investigations, apparently for security reasons, police chief Supt. Rosauro Francisco said.
Businessman Charles Balbon Jr., 31, was gunned down Thursday by an unidentified man riding in tandem with another in a motorcycle at McKinley-Gomez streets in Silay City.
Balbon was the son of Charles Balbon Sr., a former member of the defunct Philippine Constabulary Criminal Investigation Service, who was previously tagged by the police as engaged in drug peddling activities, and also linked to illegal gambling.
Francisco said they were supposed to bring the two witnesses to the National Bureau of Investigation, to help in the facial sketches of the two suspects, one them with long hair, who was even mistaken for a woman.
However, they are afraid to do so, he added.
Balbon Jr., who owns a fitness gym, was hit in the chest, neck and left hand. He was declared dead on arrival at the Teresita Lopez Jalandoni Provincial Hospital in Silay City.
Six spent shells of a .45 caliber pistol were recovered at the crime scene by Silay police investigators.
The elder Balbon, who was freed from jail last year, after a posting bail, has reportedly been dubbed “Robinhood” by his neighbors in Brgy. Mambulac, Silay City, because of his generosity. * GPB