Daily starNegros Oriental
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
 
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesFriday, August 17, 2012
Negros Oriental
Button12 operators file case against lotto ordinance
Button‘No extension in voters’ registration’
Button
‘Shabu distributor’ arrested
Button
Relief as storm leaves Philippines

IN DUMAGUETE
12 operators file case
against lotto ordinance
BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

Twelve lotto operators in Dumaguete City have petitioned a local court to declare as null and void Negros Oriental Provincial Ordinance 4-1996, that regulates the operation of lotto outlets in the province.

The petition for the declaration of nullity with preliminary prohibitory injunction, temporary restraining order and damages, was filed by Alejandro Calderon, Bernard Christian Locsin, Fatima Sung, Nurhielmina Hinaut, Lanie Rose Zosa, Milagros Aldeguer, Betty Lumaya, Catherine Marine Taclob, Floripes Maquiling, Josefina Tee, Medy Maxima Vilan and Paul Garrovillo.

They asked the court to order the Dumaguete City government to cease and desist from enforcing the ordinance pending the resolution of the issue on its validity, and to stop the city from enforcing the notice of closure it had earlier sent to each of the petitioners.

‘No extension in
voters’ registration’
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

The Commission on Elections in Negros Oriental said there will be no extension of the deadline for the registration of voters on October 31 this year.

Provincial Election supervisor Eddie Aba said this is because the National Printing Office has to start early the printing of ballots for the mid-term election next year.

The COMELEC town and provincial offices are expected to submit the list of clustered precincts immediately after the Oct. 31 deadline, for the printing of ballots for the Precinct Count Optical Scan machines, he added.

‘Shabu distributor’ arrested
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

A suspected big-time illegal drugs distributor in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, was nabbed in a buy-bust operation in Purok Kawayan, Barangay Taclobo, in the city Wednesday.

Insp. Janelito Marquez of the Provincial Anti-illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Group, identified the suspect as Isaac Torres Gara, 47, of Purok Kawayan, Taclobo.

Gara was nabbed by joint elements of PAIDSOTG, the National Bureau of Investigation and the Dumaguete police, after he handed a sachet of suspected shabu to a police poseur-buyer.

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
 Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com