The Bacolod City Prosecutor’s Office dismissed for lack of probable cause the large scale estafa charges filed against eight leaders of a non-government organization accused by the police of duping, allegedly by offering instant cash returns for every investment made by their recruits. |
However, City Prosecutor Emmanuel Lupisan found probable cause to pursue charges in court for the use of false treasury or bank notes against Altres de Dios, 33, of Mangan-Vaca in Zambales, Eustaquio Mejo Jr., 38, of Barrio Bareto, Olongapo City, also in Zambales province, president and vice president for treasury of the Voice for Global Solution on Poverty Association, respectively.
De Dios, Mejo and their companions Lina Deslate, 58, Gregorio Deslate, 58, of Molo District, Jesus Montes, 61, of La Paz District, Lucero Dolores, 61, and Carmela Umadhay, 42, of Jaro District, all of Iloilo City, and Vicenta Garcia, 59, of Cagayan were released from detention on orders of Municipal Trial Court in Cities Branch 3 Judge Napoleon Diamante when they posted bail of P5,600 each.
In a press conference at the Negros Press Club Building yesterday afternoon, De Dios said they were the victims because they were invited to attend the election of their local chapter in Purok Riles in Brgy. Alijis, Bacolod, Saturday but were, instead, entrapped and arrested by the police.
He said they did not commit any illegality when they asked for membership fees from their members because every organization does that and they did not force the complainants to join them.
He also said a “proclamation”, where the actual implementation of the provisions of the Philippine Constitutions and the adaptation of a standard of living all throughout the country will be held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on December 23 this year.
Bacolod City Police Director Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz said they will re-file the case against De Dios and his companions, and this time, they will ask the complainants to execute their affidavits individually.
As of yesterday, the complainants against the group of De Dios had already reached 30, De la Paz said.
Before leaving for Iloilo yesterday, De Dios told De la Paz and Bacolod Police Special Operations Group Supt. Santiago Rapiz that hopefully, “God will bless” them but added that they will not succeed in their bad intentions against them.
Maribeth Legazpi, the former president of the group in Bacolod, said they were made to pay P1,000 to P2,000 for a checkbook and told that P10 million will be deposited in their accounts after December 23, the day, that they said, was the “proclamation” at the Smart Araneta Coliseum of the father of De Dios, whose name was not disclosed, as the new King of the Philippines, with him as the new prince, while President Benigno Aquino will then become the country’s prime minister.
Legazpi added that they were also told that they will be given Starex vans and a free World and Philippine tour if they are able to recruit additional members, which De Dios vehemently denied.*APN