Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesTuesday, July 17, 2012
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
NHA, CITY TOLD:
‘Make good promise
of housing assistance’

BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

The housing project of the Diocese of Dumaguete for victims of tropical storm “Sendong” in the city adds to similar undertakings initiated by local and national governments, Fr. Burton Villarmente, director of the Diocese Social Action Center, said.

This was in response to reports that several “Sendong” victims, who had earlier signed up for a joint National Housing Authority-Dumaguete City government project, are becoming restless about their own relocation.

The NHA, Vice President Jejomar Binay and Dumaguete Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria had announced after the typhoon that housing assistance will be given to Negrenses whose houses were destroyed or washed out by floods.

The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines-National Secretariat for Social Action and Carita, through the Diocese of Dumaguete and its SAC, also entered into an agreement with the city government for a similar housing project for “Sendong” victims.

The first 12 units of the Church-backed project were completed two weeks ago and turned over to the beneficiaries.

Villarmente said those not in the list of beneficiaries to the CBCP-NASSA-Dumaguete LGU housing project now want to sign up, as the NHA and the city government have yet to finalize the plans for their own housing assistance.

Villarmente said priority will be given to affected families in barangays Tabuc-tubig, Camanjac and Cadawinonan.

He challenged the NHA, the Office of the Vice President and the city of Dumaguete to make good on their promise of housing assistance to flood victims.*JFP

back to top

Negros Oriental
ButtonNORECO 2 opposes KEPCO proposal for rate increase
Button‘Make good promise of housing assistance’
Button
Talay psychiatric ward needs security guards
Button
New charges vs. GMA sought