Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, March 22, 2012
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
FOLLOWING JAILBREAK
Cops inspect detention cells
BY ADRIAN NEMES III

Bacolod City Police Director Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz and Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office Director Senior Supt. Allan Guisihan yesterday ordered the inspection of the detention cells in the city and in the province following the escape of three detainees from the Bago City police jail Monday.

De la Paz and Guisihan admitted that some detention cells in Bacolod and in Negros Occidental are already dilapidated and need immediate repair to prevent detainees from escaping.

They said there is also a need to review the visitation policies for the detention cells to thwart the entry of contraband like bladed weapons, illegal drugs and saws.

Policemen assigned as jail keepers should also check the detainees frequently and make sure that they are complete. It is also a must to file charges against the suspects immediately so they will be committed to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, they added.

Criminal charges for infidelity of the custody of prisoners and serious neglect of duty await policemen if detainees escape during their watch.

In Bacolod City, De la Paz filed administrative charges against a member of Police Station 2 after a female theft suspect escaped from detention in January this year.

Meanwhile, the hunt still goes on for Aris Chicuva, Ryan de la Torre and Michael Victor Vergara who escaped Monday by sawing off the iron window grills of their cell at the Bago police jail, three days after their arrest on March 9.

The three were arrested by the operatives of Negros Occidental PNP Public Safety Company headed by Supt. Armando Tubongbanua Friday in Brgy. Sampinit, Bago City, for having three homemade shotguns, a, bladed weapon and for carrying suspected dried marijuana leaves.

Guisihan has formed a tracking team led by Supt. Armando Tobongbanua to recapture the suspects.

Chicuva , 27, has three arrest warrants for murder, three more for attempted murder, and another case for frustrated murder charges, all issued by Negros Occidental Regional Trial Court Judge Anastacio Rufon.

He is also involved in the fatal shooting and robbing of a lending firm manager and the robbery of St. Ezekiel Monastery in Barangays Pahanocoy in January and in Tangub last month both in Bacolod City.*APN

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonAlbee bill to boost value of sugarcane
ButtonSolon denies kingmaker tag
ButtonCapitol land sale faces further delay
ButtonRPA-ABB surrender of firearms set
ButtonHelp curb confusion, LTFRB told
ButtonSP approves P126M supplemental budgets
ButtonDriver killed, four injured
ButtonCourt lifts TRO granted Alejandrino
ButtonCops inspect detention cells
ButtonOnyok Velasco’s brother dies
ButtonOFW fails to return