Daily starNegros Oriental
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
 
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesFriday, May 11, 2012
Negros Oriental
Button Neg.Or. cops arrest 242 in anti-drugs campaign
Button Du installed in Leyte; admin for Dumaguete Diocese to be elected
Button
Efforts to refloat sunken vessel in Dumaguete fail
Button
LTO chief resigns from TMC  

Neg.Or. cops arrest 242
in anti-drugs campaign
BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

The Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office reported yesterday its significant accomplishments in the campaign against all forms of criminality.

Records show that NOPPO, under Sr. Supt. Edward Esperat Carranza, has jailed 242 drug personalities and filed 236 drugs cases in court against them, in violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Anti-Drugs Law of 2001. Of the 242 persons arrested, 183 were drug pushers, 56 users and three were marijuana cultivators, the police added.

From September 2011 up to April this year, 176.324 grams of shabu and 3,284.87 grams of dried marijuana leaves were seized, while three marijuana plants were uprooted, with a total street value of P227,446.85.

Du installed in Leyte; admin for
Dumaguete Diocese to be elected
BY MARICAR ARANAS

Over a thousand delegates from the Diocese of Dumaguete witnessed the installation of Rev. John Du as Archbishop of Palo, Leyte, at the Palo Metropolitan Cathedral Wednesday.

The Catholic community, local officials from Dumaguete and the provinces of Leyte and Samar, crowded the church to witness the installation rite. Most Reverend Giuseppe Pinto, Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines, handed the pastoral staff to Du after the archdiocesan chancellor read the official decree of the Holy Father on Du's appointment.

Cebu Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, in his homily, described Du as one who has the character and real commitment to serve with zeal and devotion..

Efforts to refloat sunken
vessel in Dumaguete fail
BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

Attempts to refloat the sunken cargo vessel in the shoreline of Dumaguete have failed, prompting the Sangguniang Panlungsod to summon the Philippine Coast Guard commander and the ship captain of M/V Even Transport, for an explanation Wednesday.

PCG Dumaguete station commander, Agapito Bibat, said the first salvage team failed to extricate the vessel, and is requesting for another 30 days to unload about 15 tons of bottles of beer to further lighten the cargo. The salvaging permit expired last month.

Bibat said he was not satisfied at the slow retrieval operations that started on January 12 this year. But he assured the SP that there is nothing to worry about oil pollution, because the fuel and lubricants on board were suctioned two days after the vessel ran aground due to tropical storm “Sendong” on December 17, 2011.

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
 Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com