Fire hit two houses behind a junkshop in Purok Santo Niño, Brgy. 31, Bacolod City, minutes after a black out occurred in the area at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, causing P50,000 in damage to properties.
City Fire marshal Chief Insp. Pamela Rojane Candido said that they had difficulty penetrating the area because the pathway was narrow.
Candido said the fire originated at the residence Romeo Siasico when the electric fan in one of the rooms overheated. She said the house was made of mixed materials and the fire easily spread to the nearby residence of Jimmy Amania.
Fire fighters from the city's fire bureau and volunteers of the Amity and the Chinese Chamber Fire Brigades put the fire out at about 4:40 p.m. with nobody injured.
Candido said that if a blackout occurs, it is important to put off the main switch and once the power is back, wait for at least 5 to 10 minutes before turning on electrical appliances to avoid power surge.
She said power surge causes electrical short circuit that could lead to fire.*APN