Bacolod resident swindled
Suspected “budol-budol” swindlers victimized a woman at the Bacolod City downtown area, and took her personal belongings valued at P64,000 Sunday.
The victim, who requested anonymity, told the police that she was walking at San Juan Street in front of a pension house at about 11 a.m., when an unidentified Tagalog-speaking woman, about 45 years old, with fair complexion, approached her and sought her help on where to rent a vehicle.
While they were talking, a Cebuano-speaking man, also about 45 years old and with a dark complexion came and also volunteered to help, she added.
The victim claimed that the Tagalog-speaking woman showed her bag purportedly containing P50,000 in cash which, she said, will be used to rent a vehicle and asked her to place her cellular phone valued at P21,000, gold necklace worth P30,000 and two rings all valued at P13,000 in it.
The woman, who said she was going to the place where she could rent a car, left the bag with the complainant and told her to wait until they returned, the police said.
However, after several minutes passed, and the Tagalog-speaking woman and the man did not return, the victim decided to check the bag and discovered that it contained cut pieces of paper instead of money, and her personal things placed in it were gone.*APN
Suspect in slay
try of cop nabbed
One of the three suspects who attempted to kill a policeman in Brgy. 10, Bacolod City last year, was arrested in the barangay by Station 2 policemen at about 1:30 p.m. yesterday.
Station 2 chief, Senior Insp. Robert Dejucos, said Eduardo Villarama, “alias Barok”, 43, of Purok Mambulok in Brgy. 10, was apprehended on the strength of an arrest warrant for frustrated homicide, issued by Regional Trial Court Branch 42 Judge Fernando Elumba, who set his bail at P24,000.
Villarama was arrested by Police Officers 2 Jermin Bela-ong, Robert Toreno, Ronelo Molato, Christopher Profeta and Police Officer 1 Moses delos Reyes, police records show.
The other suspect, Savonie Lobaton, “alias Kumpol”, has posted bail of P24,000, while Ray Lobaton is still at large, complainant Police Officer 2 Randy Abello, told the DAILY STAR.
Abello said he was in Purok Mambulok at about 12 a.m. on November 27 last year when the suspects attacked him without provocation.
He said he was hospitalized for three days for a stab wound on his chest and arms, and injuries on his head.*APN
Two landmines with detonating cords were discovered at the national highway of Kidapawan City in Cotabato yesterday and defused by a combined team of Army and police personnel, Col. Ademar Tomaro said.
Tomaro, commander of the 602nd Infantry Brigade, said the two improvised explosive devices with 150 meters of detonating cord, were intended to harm not only military and PNP personnel, but also innocent civilians passing the area.
“This despicable act believed done by the New People’s Army manifests how insignificant life is for them,” Tomaro said.
Moreover, he added, such act is a blatant disregard of human rights and a clear violation on the provision of the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law, which prohibits the use of anti-personnel mine, in which their group is a signatory, he added.
Tomaro supervises the internal security operations of four Army battalions in Cotabato and Maguindanao provinces.* GPB