The father of fruit vendor Julius Sayson, who filed his certificate of candidacy for mayor of Bacolod City, is asking his son to come home saying he is worried about him.
In an interview over Aksyon Radyo, Erwin Sayson said that after his son filed his certificate of candidacy Friday, he only showed up once to get some of his things and never returned after that.
He said he is asking Julius to come home because he is worried that he might have been kidnapped.
Julius, 32, will be running against mayoralty candidates Vice Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson of the Nationalist People’s Coalition-Grupo Progreso and former Bacolod Rep. Monico Puentevella of Magbinuligay Kita sa Kauswagan.
Vice Mayor Sayson filed a petition Tuesday asking the COMELEC to issue an order declaring Julius a nuisance candidate.
Erwin had earlier issued an affidavit stating that Julius is living with him in Purok 7, Barangay Granada, Bacolod City and that his son has no house of his own, has no property under his name, and has not filed any income tax return.
He said he was surprised to learn that Julius filed his COC for mayor because, ever since, he had no interest in politics and had never been a candidate for any position in past elections.
Erwin’s affidavit was supported by the joint affidavit of his brothers and sisters, Jose Sayson Jr., Ernesto Sayson, Corazon Gallardo and Jocelyn Trebelles.
In an interview over DYRL, Julius had said he will not withdraw his candidacy against the Vice Mayor who is his uncle.
“I may be poor but am rich in friends and have many supporters,” he said. He decided to run because he believes he has the capacity to serve the people of Bacolod, he said, adding: ”May the best Sayson win.”
Julius said he has decided not to go home for security reasons claiming that there were people coming to his house to convince him to withdraw from the mayoralty race.
He said that although he is an undergraduate, he had studied at the Muntinlupa Polytechnic College.
Vice Mayor Sayson said he is calling on Julius to come out and have media access, which he believes is the safest protection he can have.
“I am afraid that if something happens to him (Julius) we will be blamed for it,” he said.
The Vice Mayor said he also believes that there is no family conflict involving Julius’ grandfather, Jose, and his father, former Bacolod Vice Mayor Jovito Sayson, whose death anniversary happened to be yesterday.
Meanwhile, MKK vice mayoralty candidate Vladimir Gonzalez denied having provided Julius a service vehicle when he filed his COC Friday.
Witnesses, have said that Julius immediately left the COMELEC Office and boarded a white van after filing his COC just 5 minutes before the 5 p.m. deadline.
Puentevella said he has nothing to do with the filing of Julius of his COC, after the latter posted in his facebook account that he is supporting the former solon.
He said this is a family squabble and he does not want to be involved. He said he hopes they will not disturb him since he is trying to live a peaceful life and is now busy planning with his group for the campaign next year.
Meanwhile, Bacolod Election Officer Mavil Majarucon-Sia said the registration of new voters will continue until October 31 and she is requesting those who have not yet registered not to wait for the deadline.
She will request for the BAYS Center to be reserved during the last week of registration in order to accommodate all registrants, she said.*CGS