The Commission on Elections will remove the names of nuisance candidates from its list on or before December 21, Bacolod Election Officer Mavil Majarucon-Sia said yesterday.
Majarucon-Sia said the COMELEC, meanwhile, has asked the camps of Bacolod Vice Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson and Julius Sayson to submit their respective memoranda, after the preliminary conference held Monday in Manila on the petition filed by the Vice Mayor asking that Julius be declared a nuisance candidate.
VM Sayson said he is confident that the COMELEC will rule in his favor considering that there was a statement of withdrawal submitted by his namesake, Julius Sayson although it was not on the prescribed form of the Commission.
Sayson, mayoralty candidate of the Nationalist People's Coalition-Grupo Progreso, said Julius and his counsel failed to appear at the preliminary conference at the COMELEC Manila Monday.
He and his lead counsel Crystal Vega and Vicente Petierre lll, Councilors Dindo Ramos and Caesar Distrito, as collaborating counsel, appeared.
Sayson said that, with the non-appearance of Julius and his counsel at the hearing, he is confident that his prayer will be acted upon by the COMELEC.
It is very important that the name of Julius be taken out from the ballots so as not to confuse the voters during the elections, he said.
If Julius is declared a nuisance candidate Sayson will be running against mayoralty candidate Monico Puentevella.
Asked for his reaction, Sayson said “This will be a very good fight. And I believe that with my experience, having served in different capacities in government, I will have an edge over my opponent this coming 2013.”
Sayson said “I hope this will an above board campaign after Julius filed his certificate of candidacy, which I believe was politically motivated, to disrupt my plans to run for mayor in 2013.”
It was a politically motivated move and he is hoping COMELEC will decide in his favor and remove Julius from the list, he said.
Sayson said Councilors Dindo Ramos and Al Victor Espino accompanied him to the COMELEC Manila as their way of supporting him in his bid to declare the other Sayson a nuisance candidate.
He recalled that had been text messages being circulated saying that the two councilors were responsible for making Julius run against him. So, to show their support and to dispel the rumors, they accompanied him to the hearing Monday, he said.
Their presence shows that they are fully supportive of his plans for 2013, he added.
Sayson said Ramos, a former barangay captain of Brgy. Granada, is aware that Julius is affiliated with Puentevella.
He believes he has the support of the Sayson clan that he hopes will snowball into a strong political base by 2013, he said.*CGS