Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Follow us on:

Web www.visayandailystar.com

Agriculture Secretary  Proceso Alcala, Gov. Alfredo  Marañon Jr., NIA Administrator Antonio Nangel, Bago Mayor Ramon Torres  and  PCIC president  Jovy Bernabe (l-r)  at the launching of the  third rice cropping insurance program in Bago City.*

Top Stories
Negros Oriental
buttonNegros DepEd to fill up 121 teaching posts by Sept. 15
buttonP74-million hospital building to be completed November
buttonGovernment engineers trained on poverty alleviation projects
Tourism summit slated Sept. 21
buttonPHL hopeful of discovering onshore oil in Visayas: DOE     
Star Business

buttonMBCCI to appeal ruling on city tax code at DOJ
buttonPHILSURIN inaugurates new office
buttonOil price cut not enough – Ortega
buttonBizman backs generics law
buttonGlobe set to offer Nano-SIMs
buttonSun extends P5 per int’l text offer


buttonTiu to speak at NOPSSCEA opening
buttonPalaro inspectors arrive to evaluate Negros’ bid
buttonStingers vs. celebrities at USLS this Saturday
buttonTalisay, La Castellana rule Boxing Cup elims

Neg. Occ. rice farmers
get multi-million boost

Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala announced the release of about P46 million in projects and farm equipment to rice farmers of Negros Occidental, and launched a P98.9 million crop insurance program at rites held in Barangay Bagroy, Bago City, yesterday.

He also promised to give the rice farmers a P6 million rice mill, and dryer with operating capital, to be set up in Barangay Bagroy, a liquid nitrogen plant for artificial insemination of livestock, and free aerial spraying of organic micro nutrients on about 1,000 hectares of rice lands in Negros Occidental in October.

Alcala said all these were being done to uplift the lives of farmers and ensure that the Philippines becomes self-sufficient in rice next year, as directed by President Benigno Aquino.moremoremore

‘No fund shortage at PVAO’

The Philippine Veterans Affairs Office in Region 6 yesterday denied the claims of some World War 2 veterans in Negros Occidental that the reason for the delayed release of their pensions and other benefits was lack of budget.

PVAO Region 6 Director Janet Paderan told the DAILY STAR that their office has the budget for the veterans’ pensions and there could be other reasons for the delays.

Paderan said World War 2 veterans who have not received their pensions yet may have failed to show proof of identity, or have no military service records.moremoremore

Ferrer still considering
offer to run for vice guv

Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr., who is seeking re-election, yesterday confirmed that he has invited La Carlota City Mayor Juliet Marie Ferrer to be his running mate in 2013, and said that their tandem would be “unbeatable”.

The governor said he is running under the United Negros Alliance and will also join a national party he did not name. He had been chairman of the Nationalist People’s Coalition but was recently replaced by Kabankalan Mayor Isdiro Zayco without being informed by the party.

Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez Jr., who is also running for governor with the support of the NPC, said he has no problem with Ferrer running for vice governor with Marañon, “The more candidates there are, the more choices the people will have,” he said.moremoremore

Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise!
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com
WebMaster: Mr. Cedric B. Florentino