Daily star
Bacolod City, PhilippinesFriday, September 14, 2012
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
POLICE BEAT

Farmer shot, hacked to death

Land conflict and drunkenness triggered the brutal killing of a farmer in Hacienda TCG, Brgy. San Isidro, EB Magalona, Negros Occidental Tuesday, police records show.

The victim, identified as Robert Delgado, 29, succumbed to multiple gunshot and hack wounds allegedly inflicted by Johnrel Catigan.

Investigations by the EB Magalona police showed that a heated argument ensued between Delgado and Catigan during a drinking spree with Roberto Evangelista, at the house of the suspect’s brother in the hacienda.

Catigan, 27, allegedly shot Delgado in the head three times with a homemade .38 caliber revolver, and he also hacked him in the head, neck and back, with a bolo.

Senior Insp. Leonardo Cobing, EB Magalona deputy police chief, said yesterday that Catigan surrendered to them, and endorsed a .38 caliber revolver and a bolo.

On the same day, three suspects in a case of malicious mischief surrendered to the EB Magalona Police Station, upon learning that an arrest warrant had been issued against them by Judge Evelyn Arsenio.

Senior Insp. Arnold Mesias, EB Magalona police chief, identified the surrendered suspects as Jun Hinayan, 42; Lester Apod, 23; and Jolito Apod, 49, all residents of Brgy. Alicante in the town.

Mesias said the three accused persons failed to post the recommended bail of P10,000 each and are now in jail.*GPB

back to top

Murder try raps
readied vs. guard

Frustrated murder charges are being readied against the security guard who shot and injured two minors at the Bacolod City Reclamation area at about 7 p.m. Tuesday.

The charges will be filed before the City Prosecutor’s Office against security guard Carlito Sacil, 22, of Crossing Plaridel, Sagay City, Negros Occidental, employed by the Redeemer Security Agency and detailed at the Kuntil warehouse, City Police Director Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, said.

Sacil had earlier claimed that he fired a warning shot when he saw the two minors, aged 12 and 14, both of Purok Magtiayon, Brgy. 10, creeping towards the warehouse.

De la Paz, however, said that their investigation showed that the act of the security guard was unjustifiable, based on the wounds that the minors sustained.

The 14-year-old had gunshot wounds on his buttocks and left thigh while the 12-year-old was wounded in his back. They are now confined at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital, police records show.

De la Paz had earlier stressed that a security guard can only fire his gun for self defense, or to protect his family member.

He said they are now waiting for the parents of the minors to lodge formal complaints against Sacil, who is still detained at Police Station 1.*APN

back to top

BCPO, NOPPO lead
anti-gambling drive

The Bacolod City Police Office and the Negros Occidental Police Office maintained their leads in the campaign against illegal numbers games in Western Visayas, based on the evaluation result for the third quarter of this year, police records showed yesterday.

Out of 572 illegal gambling operators apprehended in Region 6 from January to August this year, 281 were from Bacolod City and 125 from other cities and towns of Negros Occidental, police records also showed.

BCPO and NOPPO also had the most number of confiscated illegal gambling cash proceeds that amounted to P54,171.50 and P27,792.75, respectively.

BCPO and NOPPO also led in operations against illegal gambling for the first two quarters of the year, records from the Police Regional Office-6 showed yesterday.

City Police Director Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz attributed their accomplishment to the stringent campaign they have been conducting against illegal gambling in Bacolod.

De la Paz noted that when he assumed office in January 2011, there were 16 jai alai operators, but this has been reduced to two, and, based on their latest monitoring, only one remains.

Topping the performance against illegal gambling drive in Western Visayas, however, should not be a reason for policemen to be complacent as they need to exert more effort to finally eradicate illegitimate numbers game in Bacolod City, once and for all, he stressed.

PRO-6 Director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz emphasized during his visit to the NOPPO and BCPO that there should be zero tolerance against all forms of illegal gambling in the region.*APN

back to top

Police Beat
Murder try raps readied vs. guard
BCPO, NOPPO lead anti-gambling drive
Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com