Daily Star logoBusiness
Bacolod City, PhilippinesThursday, September 27, 2012
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Classified Ads
PVO sees increase
in demand for meat

Negros Occidental Provincial Veterinarian, Dr. Renante Decena, said yesterday an increase of consumption in meat, meat products, and dressed chickens is expected starting next month until December.

Daily consumption of dressed chicken is expected to increase from 50,000 kilograms to 75,000 kg starting next month until November and it will reach 125,000 kg by December, Decena said.

Consumption of pork is also projected to increase from 40 tons to 80 daily tons and beef consumption will also double from 50 tons to 100 tons, he added.

Since the MassKara Festival and the holiday season are nearing, tourists will be visiting Bacolod City and Negros Occidental and this also means that the demand for food production, particularly meat and chicken, will also increase.

Decena said that 45 percent of the meat and dressed chicken is consumed in Bacolod while the remaining 55 percent is distributed to other cities and municipalities of Negros.

The supply of these food products comes from the poultry and livestock integrators that provide the 77 percent supply in the market and 23 percent is supplied by backyard raisers, local government units, and small raisers, Decena said.

The demand for organic free range chicken is also high and this is a good opportunity for the beneficiaries the Negros First Animal Dispersal to earn more, he said.

Backyard raisers will also have the opportunity to sell their produce at competitive prices, Decena added.*LTG

back to top

ButtonUnion mulls strike vs. marketing firm
ButtonPVO sees increase in demand for meat
ButtonRecruiters told: Protect OFWs

ButtonMining investors assured of ‘fair rules’
NGCP schedules Sunday power outages