Police: Syndicate cons
about 2,000 in Negros
BY ADRIAN NEMES III
The Bacolod City police believe that there could be about 2,000 Negrenses, mostly retired teachers, who were victimized by a suspectedsyndicate offering instant cash returns for every investment they made.
City Police Director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, said that charges for syndicated estafa and use of false treasury notes were filed before the Bacolod City Prosecutor’s Office yesterday against Altres de Dios, 33, of Mangan-Vaca in Zambales, Eustaquio Mejo Jr., 38, of Barrio Bareto, Olongapo City, also in Zambales province,president and vice president for treasury of the organization, respectively.
He said the same charges were also filed against their members Gregorio Deslate, 58, of Molo District, Jesus Montes, 61, of La Paz District, Lucero Dolores, 61, and Carmela Umadhay, 42, of Jaro District, all of Iloilo City and Vicenta Garcia, 59, of Cagayan.
Church protest vs.
RH bill tomorrow
BY CARLA GOMEZ
The Diocese of Bacolod is calling on the faithful to join a procession that will start at the San Sebastian Cathedral at 4:30 p.m. tomorrow to pray for the non-passage of the reproductive health bill into law, Monsignor Felix Pasquin said yesterday.
The House of Representatives is expected to put the HR bill to a vote tomorrow, which, ironically, is the Feast of Our Lady Guadalupe, the patroness of the unborn, Pasquin said.
Assembly time for the procession is at 4 p.m., in front of the Cathedral, and expected to join are parishioners, members of the Couples for Christ, students of Catholic schools, pro-life advocates, the clergy and seminarians, among others, he said.
‘ukay ukay’ at plaza urged
BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO
Acting Secretary to the Mayor Moises de la Cruz requested the City Legal Office yesterday to demolish the stalls selling “ukay-ukay” or used clothing at the Bacolod Public Plaza after the awardees failed to voluntarily demolish their structures last week.
In his letter to City Legal Office Joselito Bayatan dated December 10, De la Cruz said an order was issued Thursday for the kiosk owners to voluntarily demolish all structures within three days from receipt of notice due to violation, specifically for selling ukay-ukay.
He said the 68 kiosks (along Gatuslao and Gonzaga streets) are still in operation inspite of the demand for the awardees to vacate the place.